At first I was insulted every time he said "white devil" because I believe that there are good people and bad people in the world, and race does not determine if someone is a saint or a devil. I felt personally attacked when he used the phrase "blue-eyed devil" because that stereotyped all whites to have blue eyes and insinuated that the fairest whites are the most evil. I wanted to defend myself and all the other blue-eyed people because eye color does not make someone good or bad.
I kept thinking, "Doesn't Malcolm believe there are any good white people?" I really identified with the young, white college girl who went up to him and asked him the same question, but he just shooed her away like she was an annoying little fruit fly. I felt very sympathetic for her because he probably would have done the same thing towards me if I went up to him and asked him that question. But then I realized, even though I felt sorry for her, I should feel worse for Malcolm. He grew up in a poor town with an unstable home. He moved to Boston to be with his older sister, but he eventually ended up in a "hustling" life style with prosecution, alcohol, and other drugs. He had to realize his mistakes in prison, and he bettered himself through education and Islam. Malcolm was the person who was judged and hated every day because of his skin color, not the young college girl.
This made me think about how the "white devil" is a general term that is true. Malcolm was not attacking me every time he said it, he was talking about all of the white people who ever took part in slavery and were more concerned about making money than treating people of every race with equality, respect, kindness, and friendship. Malcolm made me realize that prejudices will always exist and the African American community will always have to remember that their ancestors lived in horrible conditions while they hope for more change in our nation's future and change in some stubborn peoples' minds.

2 comments:
Hey Christina!
I totally agree with you when you say that you wanted to defend yourself against Malcolm when he talked so harshly against the whites. I just don't understand how a man of his intelligence who has been so unfairly discriminated against his whole life, can be such a hypocrite and blame all of his problems on white people. He didn't blame his problems on any other race but the "white-devils". I feel that this specifically is very racist on Malcolm's part. Not only does he feel this way, but he goes on to teach it to other African-Americans. I feel that he is just as bad, if not worse than a so called "white-devil"!
I also identified with the young, white college girl. I feel similar to her in the sense that I often want to be able to help, but I don't know how. Its hard for me to feel sympathy for Malcom sometimes because he is the one telling people they can't help, that there is no hope for integration.
People NEED hope.
Anyways, its true that, as whites, we should try our best to try and identify with blacks, as much as is humanly possible. I don't think we will every fully understand the extent of the pain African Americans have felt, or the brotherhood they feel with each other, but we should do the best we can.
Great insight!
Post a Comment