Saturday, October 11, 2008

Catcher in the Rye 2

I finally finished the Catcher in the Rye. More events occurred in the second half, and these were even more depressing. There are two events that stick out in my head and that I want to write about. One event is when Holden was talking to his sister, Phoebe. It was when he snuck home at night and woke her up. Phoebe told him that he doesn't like anything, and she asked him to name someone or something he liked besides talking to her. Holden didn't have an answer, but he thought about a kid named James Castle at Elkton Hills. He called someone conceited, and the guy came after him so James jumped out of a window. I found this extremely random and very, very sad (and disgusting how Holden described him on the sidewalk). 
The other event that sticks out in my mind is when Holden went to his teacher named Mr. Antolini. He told Holden that an education is important because he can find where his mind fits best. One thing that I did not understand was when Holden fell asleep and then woke up because Mr. Antolini was petting his head. Holden took this offensively and then left. I was not sure if it was supposed to be offensive, or if Mr. Antolini was just checking on him. Anyway, the ending events occurred after this, and the ending left me wanting to read more. Holden was finally happy in the end, and I actually wanted to know what else happened to him. 

1 comment:

ellen. said...

yea... those two events stand out the most in the second half of the book.